Saturday, October 5, 2013

World Card Making Day Blog Hop

Today, October 5th, is officially World Card Making Day! This holiday is an opportunity to celebrate the creativity of handmade cards and the personal connection that they create between friends and family. It's a day to connect with fellow card makers both near and far, to applaud the creativity that powers the craft, and to provide an opportunity for card makers to connect and find resources that will empower, inspire, and encourage them in their card making. It’s also a time to get a jump-start on the holiday card-making season!

At Designed To Color, we’ve decided to celebrate this special day with an awesome Blog Hop!! Our Design Team and special guests have made some amazing cards! Several of us will also be sharing some card-making tips along the way. Please leave a comment on each designer’s blog and then a comment at Designed To Color to let us know you have completed the hop. We will pick 1 random winner for a prize package consisting of goodies from various sponsors including: 
Crafter's Companion
Yumi & Fumi Handmade
…..just to name a few!
You have until MondayOctober 7th, at 11:59pm MST to leave a comment on each blog. We will announce the winner on Wednesday, October 9th. GOOD LUCK!
Here is the blog hop order:
Lisa (that's me!)
GUESTS from TSD:
For my card, I used this cute new penguin digi stamp from DigiStamp Boutique - Waddle.


Supplies: Waddle (DSB), Frost snowflake digi papers (DSB), ribbon (Michaels),
aqua and lilac cs from scrap stash, rhinestones (Michaels),
chunky glitter (Martha Stewart) and Copics.

My cardmaking tip is to keep a binder full of card sketches. When I am in crunch time time get a card done (like tonight when I got home at 10 PM from work!), having some sketches to choose from will free up time to concentrate on the fun stuff - coloring in your image, choosing your papers and embellishments, etc.! This particular card is based on a sketch from Splitcoaststampers, but there are many sites out there with great card sketches including Page Maps and Mojo Monday

We hope you are inspired to create something special for World Card Making Day. If you do make a card please stop by the Designed To Color Facebook Page to share your creations. We would love to see them!!
OK, your next step is to visit Lyn's blog and be sure to leave a comment.
Have a great weekend!
Lisa

18 comments:

Julye said...

what a cuddly penguin, I too keep a file of sketches I like even if its from a layout of a card I liked that I've seen in blogland and also find it useful , happy world card making day

Unknown said...

Great card, def gonna start a card sketch binder!

Sara said...

Adorable card and great tip!

Carisa said...

Happy WCMD!!! So happy to have you join us on the hop - LOVE that tip. I'm so often in a time crunch I'll spend too much time looking for a sketch then the baby wakes up and POOF no more time to make a card. LOL This card makes me happy - I love the cool colors and that cute penguin! **hugs**

Anonymous said...

Precious card! Fun colors and very practical tip! I know I get in a crunch time and I have to online and search, and search... Happy World Card Making Day!
Lyn

Chris Dring said...

What a cute penguin! Love your card and the pretty colors you used!

Shazza said...

lovely card x

Leah l'Orange said...

aww, he's too sweet! love your colors, Lisa! they're wintry but not the usual, and i'm a fan of DIFFERENT. :) i tend to gravitate to a couple of very basic and favored designs in my head when i'm stuck, and i've made a bazillion of them during my own crunch times. i can totally see how keeping some sketches on hand would help! great tip, girl!

truddabellz said...

Great card! Love the colors you chose, embellishments and for the overall design of card. Love it! Awesome tip. I know when I am in a jam I view through pinterest for sketch ideas too.

lindaplus3 said...

Aweeeeeeeeeee.... so cute... and I just loooove the colors you used :)

Lucy Patrick said...

That's a great idea to keep sketches for when in a hurry, love your card, it's so sweet and love the colour combo. XOX Lucy

Tracey said...

This is gorgeous Lisa, I love the colours :o)
Hugs
Tracey
xx

Sandy Ross said...

Penguins are so adorable. Thanks for sharing this cute cards

Golden Goddess Designs said...

I keep a folder of old sketches around, too. It does take some of the stress off when you need to create in a hurry! Thanks for the great project and tip!

Kathy S said...

The pastels are perfect for this snowy image. Great work.

Carla S. said...

This is so cute, Lisa! I love the colors and the darling image! Great design!

Iris said...

Love the penguin.

isoscia at aol dot com

Jeannean said...

Your wintery colors are great; they totally make the card, along with the awesome job of the fun coloring you did!! Good tip, I do have some layouts that I fall back on when I get stumped.